Thursday, June 14, 2012

21 Days of Prayer/Journaling - Day 11 - "Be Thankful"

America is one of the wealthiest nations in the world. Many of us have roofs over our heads, a car to drive (sometimes more than one car to drive), food in our refrigerator, clean clothes to wear, and money in the bank (or in our pockets). However, almost have the world (over 3 billion people) live on less than $2.50 per day. That's $900 per year! Sedgwick Counties Area Median Income is currently $64,100 per year. That's 7,722% higher than the 3 billion people who live on less than $2.50 per day.

When looking at these statistics, it is very easy to be thankful for the things we have. However, these stats aren't always staring us in the face. And before we know it, we are complaining that we have to spend money on repairs to our $150,000 homes and our $30,000 vehicles need new tires. We forget what a blessing it is just to have our home and be able to drive our cars. We spend $200 at the grocery store and complain about how we used to be able to get the same amount of food for $100 just a few years ago. However, our grocery bags are filled with potato chips, soda, and ice cream. Certainly not necessities.

I don't think we should give up the blessings that God has given us. However, we need to be thankful for what we have at all times. We need to thank God that we have the ability to fix the A/C that went out this summer. We need to thank God that we are able to eat wonderful things like ice cream. And we need to remember that most of the world suffers the heat with no air conditioning or ice cream!

Again, it is easy to be thankful for the things we have. It is hard to be thankful when they are taken away. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "Be thankful in all circumstances." It doesn't say, be thankful in the good circumstances, but in all circumstances. Would you still be thankful if everything was taken away from you?

Job 1:21 "He said, "I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord!”

 Job had suffered greatly. He lost his wealth, his home, and all of his children. Yet, he still managed to praise God. I can't imagine losing everything that I have and I hope I will have the strength to praise God if I do lose everything. However, if I don't thank God for the things I have now, how will I know what to thank him for when things aren't going well. There will be valleys in this life. We have to be prepared for those valleys by recognizing the wealth we have in God!

0 comments:

Post a Comment